Monday, December 5, 2022

Gaskell - 5th December 2022

 Visit to Elizabeth Gaskell's house in Manchester.

Well we all enjoyed the outing.  A group of volunteers had taken on this house in a disreputable state and transformed it as it might have been in her time.  It is furnished in a simple style with Gaskell's writing desks, she preferred to write in the dining room with the big window.  This room was the largest in the house, and the house had small cosy rooms, understated in furniture and wallpapers and carpets, the last two specially made.  A lot of the furniture had been lent by museums and private collectors, and the whole assemble represented a well off middle class family.  Elizabeth's two daughters remain unmarried after her death, and they inherited the house and died there, after which it was sold.

I had only come to her work through the two television programmes, North and South and Cranford.  And I intend to read up about her, I notice the author most cited is Jenny Uglow who seems to have written the best book on her.

Gaskell is what we would call a social writer, she has written about prostitution, in her novel Ruth 1853, and her religious faith of Unitarianism gave her the moral focus to write about the social conditions she found around her.  Of course it just begs me to go into the subject of Utilitarianism, so strong around this part of Yorkshire in the past.

Interestingly, as the slow fuse of disruption throughout the country starts to appear, and especially here in the North, I was definitely in awe of the city of Manchester and all its incredible modern skyscrapers hitting the sky.  Apparently Manchester has three universities.  John Harris writes of the North's anger at the complacency of the Westminster government.

But for now the photos.








dressing up clothes, some of us did





17 comments:

  1. I love her books, but saw the other day that some now carry a 'trigger warning' on university courses because the difference between the haves and have nots portrayed in the books is too much for some sensitive souls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How extraordinary that we are not able to read and understand on our own terms the gist of the books we read. It makes you think will they cancel E. P. Thompson - The Making of the English Working Class for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bright red rug and the blue flowered wallpaper stood out for me. Also, the clothes - all dresses - I only have 1 skirt in my closet and no dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling about dresses Ellen, I have a couple, but trousers whether jeans or cord are my favourite mode of wear. I was surprised how easy it was to walk around the house, especially as the carpets were fairly new.

      Delete
  4. I studied and wrote about "North and South" when I was at university. Elizabeth Gaskell's house looks really nice. She wasn't a great writer in my humble opinion but she was on the side of the workers and explored themes that others overlooked. She deserves her place in history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her husband was an Unitarian minister, so I suppose through his work she was able to see more of the world around her. She also travelled as well in Europe, an industrious lady by all accounts.

      Delete
  5. I too remember doing her at school. Think she has gone out of fashion a bit these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably Pat, though we did buy a 'Votes for Women' tiny doll, and she now sits on top of the Xmas tree with a fairy.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely house. I enjoyed Cranford and the tv adaptations of her books. The dressing up clothes remind me of the ones at Scarborough Art Gallery (somewhere I have photos of Danny and Gabby all togged up!) That house used to be the Sitwell seaside residence.

    If seedling academics are deemed such milksops as to be offended or upset by the difference between the haves and the have-nots, they are in for a big shock in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen tried a bonnet on but no one took a photo. The house was furnished in a loving style and we were most impressed by the volunteers work, it was very homely Jennie. I am listening to Wives and Daughters at the moment.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for taking me to visit the house. I am reading Mary Barton but it is too sad, and complicated, I’ve put it aside for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sadness seems to be part of a good plot line in the Victorian time. I think Hardy's Tess of the D'Ubervilles is one of the saddest stories for young females cruelly disgraced...

      Delete
    2. That is a good point, I should have remembered that.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Yes Joanne a good trip, also with a dainty cup of tea and cakes.

      Delete
  9. I read Cranford so long ago that I can remember very little about the book, perhaps an English class assignment. I enjoy touring houses got up to look as they might have done in a particular time. I do wonder if the good woman kept her desk that tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I expect writing as she did a certain amount of tidiness was required, though her handwriting was very untidy Sharon.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!