Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Are daffodils Poisonous?

Yes is the answer. Lucy had eaten a dead flower head that I dropped on the drive this afternoon, only the flower not the stem.  But a couple of hours later she vomited! She eats moss that the birds chuck off the roof, and remember her eating those shaggy blackcap  mushrooms, making me phone the emergency vet?  Bloody dog.  But she is perfectly alright now having brought up the contents of her stomach.

The teapot theory

"Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time"  Bertrand Russell on Religion

Yesterday the doorbell rang and two men stood on the doorstep, a proffered leaflet, quick glance down I see the word bible, followed by Jehovah Witness  Smile sweetly, juggle agnostic or atheist in my mind, have no truck with religion says I but would probably call myself an atheist, hoping to move them on their way.  Actually says one, so was I until I read the bookBooks are just words says I written and interpreted in many ways differently by  whom it pays to profit by them. They eventually left.  Luckily I did not give them the full force of fury that I had experienced once in a church.  Going up to the pulpit, an open bible lay in front of me.  The word 'harlot' sprang out of every paragraph, the vicar obviously got his kicks from lecturing his congregation on their wickedness.  I haven't read the bible for years but misogyny springs to mind. 
Actually I would say I drift more to Buddhism, floating in that world where nature, soul and the universe create something else, but what I don't know.  Anyway it does not make me an agnostic, in which you neither believe or disbelieve.

And for those who have the stamina read Dostoevsky's The Grand Inquisitor

8 comments:

  1. You should have told them you were a teapot worshipper. The ensuing conversation is a delight to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See what I have said to Jennie. Actually I try to be respectful to those who 'believe' it takes some doing of course. But belief systems make the world go around. Have you ever argued with a person who believes crop circles are made by aliens?

      Delete
  2. I have been a non-believer since the age of ten. To me all religious belief is daft. However, it continues to cause much death and unhappiness so we cannot ignore it. Even today folk cling to religiosity like lifebelts when they would be better off learning to swim across the sea of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically I believe that it is something to do with the 'end' bit, you have to have hope that there is something better to go to. Stardust is the modern equivalent of the pearly gates of heaven.

      Delete
  3. Of course, we are indocrinated into religion from an early age at school (or at least, we were). It's difficult to move away from but it does occur to me how much of our religion is actually based on superstition?

    Another one for telling them you were a teapot worshipper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once thought of collecting teapots, they can be so pretty. But then became a minimalist! Though you should see my work room, full of wool and material.

      Delete
  4. I am a Humanist and belong to Humanist UK Thelma - that moves the Jehovahs Witnesses on rapidly - they never argue to say anything - they just scuttle off Like you I am intrested in Buddhism - the only faith which attracts me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Bertrand Russell quote. I am with you on this one, I try to be respectful to those that believe, like you we often get Jehovahs Witness folks knocking on the door. I am always happy to talk but I always say to them that they are not going to change what I believe and I am not going to try and do the same to them.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!