Sunday, February 2, 2020

trees

We are told to plant trees, but what of the marvellous trees and woods that exist already.  Wandering alone by myself with only the dog for a company I exulted in the absolute greenness and beauty in the world around.  Even as I potter round old digital photos,  I see each wild flower plant was noted, and here and there Moss would appear, intent on his own business on walks.  Paul would take me to Blake's Wood in Essex, we would wander through the sweet chestnut trees, and look for mushrooms. He understood my need for the natural world to be imbibed into my soul, though he was hardly a walker himself.

 
Langridge; The low branch of this tree I would touch with reverence

Roman villas round here and then as you go over the fields the site of the Roundheads Battle of the Lansdown.

the gnarled trunk of an old hawthorn

The Mendips.  Famous for its gorge, but there was another smaller one here, where thousands of years ago cave dwellings were found.

Rampant greenery almost like a rain forest


A wild bell flower

Here the two faces of the rock almost came together

The stone cliffs can be seen, but turn to your left and the Tor of Glastonbury would have been seen


A beech wood, dark and mysterious and devoid of ground cover

6 comments:

  1. I need to get out into the countryside too, and certain trees are so special. I miss the chance to walk in proper woodland round here - I am thinking New Forest. I miss it so. A lovely post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also the Forest of Dean with the boars rampaging through, took the children there camping, and camped in the New Forest but then it was only cows scaring us as we lay in the tent at night listening to the noises around us.

      Delete
  2. I love that old Hawthorne Thelma - indeed all your photographs today. There is one lane/road which runs through Bishopdale and down into Kettlewell which, in the right season, is lined with Giant Bellflowers - the only time I have ever seen them. I too love just to walk in the countryside, although now walking is difficult for me I still feel better for just the shortest walks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the one and only time I have seen the wild bell flower Pat so I am glad you can find it up here. When this miserable winter weather settles down I shall try to do some more walking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Triple WOW. What gorgeous tree photos. You have the eye for their majesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think trees are beautiful, especially when you see their skeleton branches at this time of the year. I may have the eye for their majesty but not the camera sadly.

      Delete

Love having comments!