Sunday, February 9, 2020

Sunday 9th February.


A photo for Pat picked up from Yorkshire weather on F/B.  The beck through Hawes is flying along at an enormous speed. I have often wondered when rivers run next to stone built houses and walls why they don't collapse.  Answers please on a postcard.  I have just looked out of the study window, and our river can be seen a foot or so under the height of the bank.




Well the storm is getting underway, things are hitting the windows from the trees, great gusts of wind, and teaming rain.  So I cooked this morning, my bread, Shrewsbury biscuits and stuffed peppers.  I have decided to bake biscuits because of the wrapping biscuits come in nowadays.  Most of my food is cooked from scratch anyway, and I fancy peanut butter biscuits as well.
The news covers the ongoing coronavirus crisis, Peter Wilby in the Newstatesman lists all the flu epidemics we have had, though he misses out the Spanish one.  Like me he got the Asian flu in 1957, I almost died, and was nursed by the nuns at the convent where I was boarding - there was a divorce going on in the family.
But apparently there was the Hong Kong flu (1968), Russian flu (1977), Sars (2002), bird flu (2005), and swine flu (2009).  Funnily enough I don't get the annual flu jab, basically because it only covers certain types of flu, so you could catch a completely different strain.  We will see how far this strain travels but rather than worry about over enthusiastic headlines on the subject, just wash your hands and be grateful that people are being quarantined for a fortnight.

A couple of things I picked up along the way.............................


Rising............

Current River Level:  2.812m, rising



The normal level of the River Seven at Normanby in average weather conditions is between 0.05m and 0.41m. It has been between these levels for at least 150 days in the past year. The usual range of the River Seven at Normanby in more extreme weather conditions is between 0.08m and 0.55m. It has been between these levels for 90% of the time since monitoring began. The most recent high is 4.10m, reached on Sunday 3rd October 2010 at 10:15am. The highest level ever recorded at the River Seven at Normanby is 4.25m, reached on Monday 25th June 2007 at 9:15pm.

Falling.............

Current River Level:  3.06m, falling   7.0/clock

1 comment:

  1. Yes I agree Thelma - all this panic about Coronavirus has got a bit out of hand. We will either get it or not but need to keep washing our hands and hoping. My Grandson teaches in China and as far as I know has no intention of returning to the UK - his Partner is Chinese.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!