Monday, February 3, 2020

reflections part two


I start, slightly Victorian photograph, of myself boarding a boat to go to the Greek Island. A 21st birthday present a trip to Greece, all by myself and looking cross that the photographer has caught me and will no doubt make me pay. Pink and white stripes that dress, and for crying in a bucket what was I doing with a vanity case?
But I needed to wander from an early age, as a child I trotted round on a pony, exploring Hainault Forest or woods round Chigwell.  My grandfather sent me off with a friend and our two horses to a farm in the Midlands in the summer and we had our adventures and roamed the fields on horseback.
So when I started this journey of reminiscence and look back on the places I  went to in later times have not been surprised at how far I have walked.
A favourite place was Solva in Wales not far from Jennie in her home high in the hills of my favourite country.
The sea always has a strong pull on us, is it because we live surrounded by water or is it that this was the origin of our species crawling out of the water to land.
Whenever I made the annual journey to Solva, I would pull over at Newgale beach and let Moss out for a run on the long beach.  Often in winter the sea breached the stone shingle bank that protected the campsite on the other side of the road and the sea would splatter shingle all over the road.
I wandered around the cliffs of Solva, for Wales had many attractions to a megalithic person as myself, not withstanding coastal paths that still held the wild flower in their embrace.  
I took Paul a couple of times, the last time we went with American friends, their aspirations of Welsh cuisine slightly higher than was offered but Bucky enjoyed that whole lobster to himself, and when we explained that getting rid of hedges so that they could see over them, would be difficult in our nature loving country they understood.  I know Bucky never forgave me for taking  them on the long route to the  sacred spring on the Presceli Hills he was so sure was there, and then complaining about the bogs he encountered down the hill.  Or the bottle of expensive Welsh whiskey that the three of them indulged in back at the inn but I did enjoy taking them round my favourite places, and not forgetting sitting in Jennie's and Keith's lovely old kitchen.
So the following photos will take you around the inlet that is Solva, the 'drowned valley' that sits on the other side of the village.  I absorb history as if I have a porous skin, the landscape will sink like a blanket round my shoulders and I think when I look at the old rocks that poke through the slight green surface vegetation of the times when volcanic eruptions made them millions of years ago.
Old stone foundations on Carn Llidi

prehistoric fencing?


rocks made vertically

A drowned valley

misty and narrow, this particular path had two  defended Iron Age enclosures


Solva harbour


13 comments:

  1. You look so innocent and young. I am re-reading The Moonspinners, so this photo may put me in a better time frame in Greece. I love you countryside even though it needs a bit more sunshine. Will we leave anything behind 1,000 years from now that is worth leaving behind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it was a long time ago Tabor ;). Yes we miss out on sunshine but the greys are often a good moody reflection of what is there. A bit like b/w photos they capture the essence. As for leaving behind something, I expect all skyscrapers to fall, but Chernobyl is showing an interesting aspect of what happens when humans leave..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I knew most places in Wales but never heard of Solva. Enjoyed looking at the photo's. By the way I had a dress just like that ( about 1966, haha. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solva is just down the road from St.Davids, with its cathedral and medieval ruins of the monastic buildings. Well we were decently clad in the 60s ;)

      Delete
  4. My first husband and I enjoyed this part of Wales - all Wales in fact. But then we lived in Wolverhampton, which was within easy striking distance. From up here it is such a long way - I don't expect I shall ever go again although my son and his wife, who live near me, spend every holiday there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I also fell in love with Wales because we lived in Wolverhampton Pat. We had a farmer friend there also near Pumpsaint, and friends in Lampeter as well.

      Delete
  5. You aptly describe the only way to truly "absorb history," through hedges, springs, and rocks....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is the natural world that carries the history, but the myths and stories we create enliven it.

      Delete
  6. Ah, I remember that day well Thelma. Keith told me afterwards that at least I could claim SOME intelligent friends (he had met one or two who didn't hit that mark, but I was ever one for collecting lame ducks . . .) Smiling at the thought of you trying to explain the wonderful Welsh landscape to Bucky. I am glad that the expensive Welsh whiskey made up for the "traipsing about"! I am inclined to agree with you that there could well be a prehistoric stone wall in hr landscape (like those on Dartmoor, written about by my former tutor Andrew Fleming.)

    I loved the photo of you - so brave going off gallivanting on your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved coming to visit you Jennie and maybe when the weather is warmer I will come and stay, but don't forget you own cats and I own Lucy. Paul often used to talk of the visit and sitting round the kitchen table drinking tea.
      The 'stone wall' (wonder if it propped up hurdles) belonged of course to the promontory fort with the round huts at the end of St. David's Head, the one Sabine Goulding excavated.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad we were a happy memory Paul revisited often. We, too, talk of you and Paul and our admiration for his knowledge and talents - and you blow my hat off with your archaeological and historical knowledge! Ah - Lucy vs. the cats - I hadn't thought of that! If we could get mum's flat emptied of surplus furniture, we could set that up a an individual flat for you. Watch this space.

      I didn't know that Sabine Baring Gould excavated that promontary fort. I have several of this books here.

      Delete
  7. P.S. you are more than welcome to come and stay and we can all go down to Solva and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are lovely photos of the landscape and the sea.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!