Sunday, February 23, 2020

Sunday is a gentle day


This is the mizzy beginning its song
from the top of the highest tree.
This is a drone shot of a thunder god.
This is a dangerous place to be.

This is part of a verse about the Mistle thrush, written by Paul Farley, the rest of the poem to be found here.  We are living through floods of rain, winds that roar through the trees but there are intervals of peace when you look out of the window and know that it will pass.
Yes the mistle thrush is back, so much larger than the song thrush, its colouring blending with the wood fence when first I saw it.  There are arguments in the sky between thrushes, territory is being declared.  The jackdaws sit in the holes of the old trees in which they nest year after year.  Glance idly at the bushes and the red tips of buds are appearing, forget the snow of snowdrops, and the short lived dance of the crocus.  The daffodils may nod their heads but the slow creep of the seasons will happen.
It is Sunday morning, the church services drones downstairs on the radio, the 'Bells on Sunday' were quite uplifting this morning, I almost picked out a visible tune.  Another poem I found somewhere is  Mary Oliver's 'The Wild Geese', I have seen them flying overhead a few times, this weather must unsettle them.  To be found here but you can also listen to her reading it on video.


Wild Geese - Mary Oliver (1935 - 2019)
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees

for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.

You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.

And now for a photograph of Nijo Castle in Kyoto.  Water and stone with trees.

7 comments:

  1. I like that poem very well, and like being introduced to the Mistle Thrush. I listened to a recording of its song online, and then to a few of our American thrushes. Each is unique. I don't think I've had direct experience with a thrush of any species and song yet. Thank you!!

    Another UK blogging friend was wishing for the quietness of snow, after all the noisy storms. I'm glad you are having a little break, leaning toward springtime and its birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well further North up in Scotland there is supposed to be snow and it looks very sleety outside. Looking for a poem, John Clare came to mind but I could not find anything specific. So Farley's 'Mizzy' reference will have to do. The bird is named after the mistletoe berry I think.

      Delete
  2. I saw a Mistle Thrush in my garden today - a first since I moved here.
    I love the Mary Oliver poem - it is a regular choice at our Poetry afternoon. I am going to read Thomas Hardy's The Darkling Thrush at our meeting this week - have just come across it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas Hardy is one of my favourite writers. His deep gloom is perfect for winter!

      Delete
  3. The Mistle Thrush is a lovely looking bird. We do not have them here in Pennsylvania. Right now there are many Cardinals and Red Winged Blackbirds. I have seen some robins which always is a positive sign of an early spring.

    I really like Mary Oliver’s poem. I have had similar thoughts this past week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently they can be strong characters defending their territories but it is always lovely to see them return and know that the world goes on. Saw a beautiful photo of all the different coloured cardinals the other day, they are very striking.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard a Mistle Thrush singing yet but I have been listening out for them. We have the quiet of snow here now it is such a relief after endless wind and rain.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!