Monday, February 17, 2020

Monday 17th February


The latest offensive on the BBC, just signed one of those petitions to save the BBC.  It has faults, who doesn't but it has always been there for us.  Boring at times, enlightening as well. My thought this morning, well if I end up in a hospital bed dying, I shall be latched on to Radio 4, early morning listening to the weather news, as the weatherman works his way round our coastline.  Politics later on don't interest me in Today, but 'Tweet of the Day' will brighten up the morning.  It has covered science, medicine, and everything else under the sun, including Douglas Adam (the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) the other night, featured on the nighttime World Service.
If the government calls a halt to paying the Licence Fee, I will simply go on paying it a sort of rebellion against the powers that be. I will not be forced by any government to listen to the news that they want us to hear, and though I think the BBC is scared of the government I will trust in the integrity of those employed by it.


As to other news, the water has receded from the road and the fields behind, those banks that were built in the 1950s are standing the test of time, and thanks to the men who built them with the aid of a little train to move spoil we are safe for the time being, though more rain is forecast this week.


18 comments:

  1. I've signed up too.
    I dread to think what radio programmes we would get if we lost BBC radio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is of course the question of 75 year old people getting the licence free, or not. This is helping those who want to get rid of it of course.

      Delete
  2. How do I sign up Thelma - I would be lost without the BBC - I rarely watch any other channel on TV and I love to listen to Radio 4 once i am settled down for the evening. I can't listen and walk around owing to my hearing problem. As to that photograph - a perfect example of 'a picture is worth a thousand words' I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have put two petitions up on the blog, just click on them and they will arrive. They did a lot of work those workmen, the banks on either side of the river goes for miles.

      Delete
  3. I would happily pay the license fee for the radio alone.Radio 3 and 4 have been wonderful companions all my life. I do not want them replaced by Rupert Murdoch radio,thank you very much Mr Cummings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, the radio has been the background to our lives since we could learn to distinguish from one word to another.

      Delete
  4. Our PBS is under fire as well. Seems conservative movements like to get rid of news, newsprint and most books as the first movement to pursuade people to their side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very dangerous path, a bit like the killing of the intellectuals in China during the Mao revolution. Luckily we are all able to distinguish from past history to what is happening today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have signed the petition, I can't imagine not having the BBC, I don't mind paying the license fee as I don't have any subscriptions to others like sky, virgin or netflix:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie, I think every signature will be welcomed by the BBC.

      Delete
  7. Have signed Thelma - thanks for the pointer. I just hadn't read your post properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not put it up Pat, had to go back and find it.

      Delete
  8. Many times I've thought "who else but the BBC would make a programme like that?" Some turn out to be unexpected hits like The Repair Shop, others are perhaps more highbrow but still brilliant like Mary Beard interviewing Clive James. Who else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just watched 'The Pale Horse' which was enjoyable. They manage to capture period beautifully. The Repair Shop was a clever idea and of course it introduced us to people who were brilliant crafts people.

      Delete
  9. I watch the BBC here in the states. I would miss it if it is gone. Our public radio and TV stations have been threatened for years by one government party wanting to defund it. They have cut it back to almost nothing and it is only through the generosity of patrons and minimum advertising that it still exists. That is the station that I watch to see all my British shows which are so much better than our violent ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the BBC send many programmes (do they sell them?) to your country, and we would really be lost without all the good things they make. The damage will be incremental by demanding closure of some stations, and of course by giving the freedom to pay or not.

      Delete
  10. I love the BBC we don't have a television but we have the radio on one station or another most of the time. I am off to sign the petition, thank you for sharing I wasn't aware there was one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sustainable mum, what a lovely word, and no television to boot, following the sustainable ethos. Thank you for signing.

      Delete

Love having comments!