Thursday, February 13, 2020

Thursday 13th February

Another storm on its way this weekend, parts of Cumbria have no water in their taps though there is plenty around, the world spirals gently on.  What about building two dams to enclose the North Sea says one Dutch expert in the Guardian yesterday.  The human race is always innovative even when faced with stark realities. The young teenagers developing booms to capture the plastic waste in the sea.  The firms starting up to recycle plastic even old mattresses are being recycled to grow plants in.
Another interesting read about is  Greta Thunberg and the hate she receives from male quarters.  It comes from a site called a 'Million Women', though I am not sure they have quite reached the dizzying heights of a million but still climbing.  And at this stage just to balance, misogynist males are equalled by misandry in women! 
Later on I will go to a meeting of the Green party at a local hotel, feel it is my duty after complaining that I did not like driving at night to their monthly meetings at a pub.  I have sat and read the farming and environmental words in their manifesto.  All well said but when did words change the world? Politics are a dispiriting affair, we have a dual party government, with one side with a big majority so that means we go one way only.  Don't take this to heart those of you who are good enough to read this blog, but I think the vote went the wrong way and I would actually vote for a governmental system that allows an even spread of thought on all subjects.  Trains for instance, more money into the Northern train services and no HS2 route going through unspoilt farm land, apparently there is an alternative route that already follows an existing line.
I shall go on crocheting my Afghan blanket, as it gets bigger and tumbles colourfully round my feet.


10 comments:

  1. Yes the village next to where I live (Bellerby) which was so devastated last July and was almost flooded again by Ciara, is bracing itself for the weekend. As for the state of things - I watch 'Breakfast' each morning while i am eating mine - this morning it showed huge piles of dumped rubbish - absolutely appalling. Hope the meeting was worth turning out for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the meeting was interesting, made so by a farmer who had plenty of tales to tell.

      Delete
  2. I think most humans are of a moderate bent would willingly compromise to both sides if it meant better civilization and less devastation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the middle road is the best option, the outlying extremes are places we don't want.

      Delete
  3. For many years i followed the news in a very haphazard way--only the 'big' events of the world made their way into my realm of home, family, garden, stitchery, etc.
    I'm more aware these days, and appalled by what goes on in the world, but without any sense that I can change anything. [I find I can't even influence the thinking of my staunchly right-wing family! Not that I'm anything but middle of the road.] It is good, I think, that we can retreat to the colors of an afghan, a quilt in the making or a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all we can do is take note of what is happening Sharon. It is working from the bottom up with the people around you to create a better place. It is incumbent on towns in the UK to take more autonomy for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking towards the Green party at the moment as well as seeking a fairly central leaning slightly left way and would vote for a party who supported proportional representation as I'm quite fearful of what has happened politically over the last year or so:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proportional representation may work but I doubt it will ever come into being especially now as we seem to be heading for restricted government.

      Delete
  6. It's a beautiful blanket - those colors are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite enjoying the colours, they come from 'Drops' wool, which are fairly cheap.

      Delete

Love having comments!