Saturday, February 8, 2020

winter aconites

I was woken up last night by the sound of a thundering noise, and the crash of something.  It was just heavy rain beating against the window, a warning by Storm Ciaro that it is on its way.  But two days of sunny calm weather tells me that spring is waiting somewhere.
For a start, look at the exclamation mark after eggs, someone is happy that his hens are laying already...


Lucy and I went for walk to see the snowdrops that appear all along the grass verge this time of year.
Here, below, they have probably been planted by the chapel house owners over the road. What is noticeable though on this piece of land is the moss (in flower), is there something that stops the water flowing away, which gives a boggy ground? Here grows wild cherry trees, except the cherries may not be wild but planted a long time ago.



Snowdrops spread quite easily, it is only the starting of them that a problem may be encountered, plant in the green, is the wisdom on this.



Our river running low at the moment, but after the storm??? it can rise from a couple of feet to thirteen feet easily as the water comes down from the moors.
This bank has snowdrops and winter aconites, their bright button yellow faces competing with the sun.  They like damp, and when the willows come into leaf their bulbs are protected underneath in the damp soil.



Lucy who has just knocked me down as I crouched to get a photo.

9 comments:

  1. I've never seen winter aconites in the wild. Lucky you.

    Here we are bracing ourselves for Storm Atiyah - and we are meant to be selling at a Fair tomorrow too . . . Perhaps not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could have been planted Jennie, and just ended up on a protected part of the bank, but lovely to see wherever they came from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love winter aconites - at the farm I had literally hundreds all over my front garden - just under the window. I really miss them here. I do have snowdrops and they are beginning to spread and colonise but aconites are not so easy to get going. Batten down the hatches - I think we may be in for a rough ride up here tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must miss the farm, and the farmer of course, but can you go back and visit I wonder?

      Delete
  4. She's not quite got the hang of photobombing yet, has she.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more a photo of her bum here, I let go of the lead as well but she didn't rush off home, waited until I managed to get back up again.

      Delete
  5. Lucy thought you wanted to play on that lovely spring grass, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think she is getting rather clumsy in her old age Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're trying to lose fat then you certainly need to try this brand new custom keto plan.

    To create this keto diet, certified nutritionists, fitness trainers, and top chefs have united to provide keto meal plans that are useful, convenient, economically-efficient, and enjoyable.

    Since their launch in January 2019, hundreds of clients have already completely transformed their body and well-being with the benefits a smart keto plan can give.

    Speaking of benefits: in this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-confirmed ones offered by the keto plan.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!