Friday, July 24, 2020

Friday 24th July 2020




I am feeling my age, fell asleep after lunch.  Went shopping, wore my mask and forgot things but that is normal.  I have started digging the ground where Paul's ashes are to go in front of the statue of the Bodhisattva.  Something I have put off but it has to be done.  The weather was beautiful, Lucy scratched away the bed in the background, the hens chuntered around and the kitten sprawled wherever we were.
Yesterday I had an email from Paul's brother asking about how he had become so ill, I explained as best I could.  He had not come to the funeral, it was a long way and on the day the rains had poured and there was a lot of flooding round York. In the room where a celebrant takes the ceremony, the rain beat against the roof very noisily.  When I asked a friend as to how it had gone they said it was very particular to us both. So the photos, flowers, music and words expressed a well lived life, but I would have wished for so much longer with him.
A book has arrived from my daughter, 'I Am an Island' by Tasmin Calidas, it looks good.  There is always a family joke about me wanting to live in a small cottage in the woods all alone, away from family.  Well I have had the experience the last three months and it is not what I had expected!
The other book is from my son, Alice Walker is a black writer who I have never come across before but her essays are good and gives the perspectives we all need to know.  Now children dear, will you send me a decent pair of glasses to read with? 👀


10 comments:

  1. You can't imagine how this cheered me up Thelma. I am feeling my age at the moment anditis nice to feel I am not alone! I shall be interested to hear what you think to both of those books. I am always on the lookout for something new to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they are both definitely good writers, though 'I am an Island' follows the nature writing of the present and it is definitely not all good on far away islands for attractive females.

      Delete
  2. The books sound good. I've liked Alice Walker but haven't read that one. My family is some of my grief now. It wasn't how I expected it'd be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain it never is sadly, family is both a joy and a bind but we would never be without them. I count my blessings that I have such a lovely daughter and son.

      Delete
  3. In my new mode of not feeling guilt at buying new books I've ordered "I am an Island"!

    ( I've kept some of Col's ashes - just couldn't spread them all at once - need to save a little of him for sometime)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will enjoy it, the myth of Scottish Isles as being the place to move too live in isolation will be broken. Paul's ashes seem so much safer in the house, but they have to be scattered in the garden he loved so much, and I shall keep some of the ash as well.

      Delete
  4. Good books and bad glasses. Too horrid! How I hope it will be rectified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joanne, of course we have to wait for the opticians to open as well, I have a feeling somewhere along the line I might have to have them examined properly in hospital.

      Delete
  5. I think you will enjoy the Alice Walker book. She is an excellent writer.

    Paul will always be with you, Thelma, in your heart and mind. Love never ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son sent me two Alice Walker books, so I should be able to catch up with her. Yes I understand that you carry around the person who has passed away in your heart but the absence of physical presence is hard to get over.

      Delete

Love having comments!