Thursday, July 9, 2020

Walk in the village

I have not been well these last few days, no, I doubt it is the dreaded virus but just feeling ill and cold.  But today I felt a little better and baked bread, than Rod and wife mowed the lawns.  So I decided to go and look at the meadowsweet down the green lane. Cross, they had 'tidied' the verge and hedgerow the people who lived in the bungalow - suburbian values should not be allowed in villages is my particular refrain.  At least in my mind!  I found bird's foot trefoil lurking in the long grass and then ox eye daisies both on the 'green' list which says there is plenty around.  But for meadowsweet, try here and here  This was a long ramble in Essex where nature is abundant around the river Chelmer.



And then, noticed that our old post box is a 'priority' post box, which means our testing posts get royal treatment.
You may be asked to post your sample in one of over 30,000 specially selected Royal Mail priority postboxes. You can find your nearest priority postbox on ... or here in our village.


9 comments:

  1. My lawn has almost been a Bird's Foot Trefoil lawn this year and i have never seen it there before. I love it and felt it was almost a shame to mow the lawn. Hope you are soon feeling your old self again. Actually it has been cold and rather miserable here the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pat mowing does destroy all the daisies, clovers both red and white, but I suppose it looks tidy.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you've been feeling unwell, especially at such a worrying time. Glad you sound to be on the mend again now though. What a shame the incomers have taken it upon themselves to have a tidy verge. I love to see wild flowers growing - they are NOT weeds of course. Today on our walk I saw Greater Celendine (not seen it since last year - last time we went to Wotton in the summer I think), Valerian, Hemp Agrimony, Greater Bindweed, and Ivy-Leaved Toadflax. Photos on my blog tomorrow.

    I will have to check and see if our wee postbox down the hill has been deemed a Priority Postbox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blame it on those ride on lawn mowers (that men love) there are several in the village. I used to grow hemp agrimony I think for butterflies. It made me laugh at our very old post box, that it was a priority one but I suppose if you are out in the country best not go into town with suspected virus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt earlier in the week as if I had a bit of a cold. Question: how can one have a cold without going anywhere near anyone who has one? PS I don't like ride on lawnmowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes actually I was a bit mean about men and ride on lawn mowers, there is a female farmer up the road who always does the large verges outside her fields with a ride on. As for colds my daughter reckons we are blessed for not having colds as a family.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. ;) Will probably outlast the Queen with its royal signature ER above. I am glad it is still there, the telephone box was removed a couple of years ago, though some up and down the country have a small library of books in them for borrowing and returning.

      Delete
  6. I am sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well. I do hope it short lived. We have masses of meadowsweet on the verges of a lane not far from our house. We have somehow managed to acquire a plant in the garden too which I am very happy about!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!