Saturday, July 18, 2020

Whitehead and her Nissan Hut

Rachel Whiteread;  Wandering through my email blogs I came across the fact that one of Rachel Whiteread's works of art was displayed in Danby Forest which is not far from here.  Whitehead's artistic art work always raises the question in my mind - Is this art?  Slapping plaster on a shed or house is more artisan but each to his own. The installation is fairly recent and the Nissan hut sits rather solitary in its woodland glade.  The following video by the Forestry Commission gives a clue to its final resting place.





4 comments:

  1. I often wonder about the question 'Is this art?' Have people always asked that question or is it only in the past thirty years or so? I actually rather like the hut but whether or not it is art is another thing entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it is a cleaned up version of a Nissan hut, inside out. But I don't think I will go down the road of questioning what is art, too many holes to fall down;) I don't like Weiwei either and his repetitious use of sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave in years ago by accepting that anything is Art if someone says it is, but that does not mean to say I have to like it. Rachel Whiteread's internal castings of buildings make me feel claustrophobic. I worry about the poor people trapped inside the concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read something similar today, if a person says that their work is art then it is. Perhaps originality is the word to use for her work.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!