Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Stones

Many years ago, I bought a book called The Modern Antiquarian, written by Julian Cope.  Cope was musician, writer, poet and many other things but he was the first to turn the tables on archaeology and write about prehistory in a different manner.
Cope's writing was deep and profound and you had to look beyond the clothes, and presumably drugs, to see his commitment.  Julian Cope lived near Avebury for many years he wandered the paths of prehistory, striking 'goth like' poses against the stones, Odin's image stalked him. 

I met Paul through the Modern Antiquarian clan, so let it be said that TMA is and was a part of my life. We all shared a love of the old stones, the history that lay at the back of the marvellous Neolithic long barrows, Bronze Age barrows, the stone circles and every stone that appears in an upright manner in this country and around the world.
  
Falling in love with stones seems a foolish pastime but people do, cults are born at some stone circles, offerings to whatever god you believe in.  And never forget that many of the stones were aligned at solstices, both summer and winter.  They echoed the sun and moon.  The barrows were the last resting place of leaders, chieftains?  Who knows.

That is where you must stop and think, for there is no written evidence from prehistory, it is all speculation and a few archaeological clues as to why in a Neolithic barrow we would find jumbled up bones from somewhere else in the landscape, it came to be called 'worshipping the ancestors'.  Carrying their bones around.

There are so many anomalies we cannot unpick now, the stones seem to represent a later stage when in fact it was wooden posts that dominated the landscape earlier, the great trees were cut down to make posts.  Stanton Drew stone circles have a strange wooden circular temple? inside the stone circle.  Nine concentric circles to be precise, all long gone now, their vague imprints shown by modern day detecting machines.

The following video is over two hours long, you can actually find chapters on Youtube, but you will begin to see through the length and breadth of our beautiful countryside, how prehistory reigned supreme for a small part of our history.

Amateurs such as Julian Cope, Michael Bott and Rupert Soskin opened up the world for others to see in a different way.  Their enthusiam follows all pioneers who strive for a better understanding of their world.  So enjoy



A link to Paul's site-Megalithic Poems  He called himself Littlestone and loved poetry.






10 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to sitting down and watching all of this film, so thank you for putting it up. There was an amateur archeologist around here called Guy Underwood. He based all his research on dousing for what he believed to be different types of detectable signals. He was despised by the local archeologists, but they had to admit that he had an uncanny knack of discovering things by what they considered to be intuition. He wrote a book called 'Patterns of the Past'. Well worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just watched it. A wonderful couple of hours spent. (I almost said 'which I will never get back', but then I realised that this gave the wrong impression).

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you both enjoyed it, it is worth the effort. As for dowsing, I had a friend he doused at Sandy Lane, by the Bowood Estate, it was Roman, he followed the lines of the buried walls perfectly. Tried it myself but wasn't too successful, but it is obviously something that actually happens for some people. I have the Guy Underwood book, he represents a few people who believe in 'Earth energies', water I can believe in, but such things as ley lines really take reason too far.

      Delete
  2. It is all such fascinating stuff. I shall watch this in its entirety when I have a long enough slot to do so. The only place round here where I get that feeling when I go there is Maiden Castle in Swaledale, which is not a castle of course. These places have a mystery and an aura which I find strange and I am quite unable to put the feeling into words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. History can settle quite comfortably on one shoulders, but some sites feel scary. I think it is all the ghosts roaming around. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I shall watch this when I have two hours to spare......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good history lesson for children as well in short doses.

      Delete
  5. I've got both of his books. I've found two copies [one signed] of the European one he did in the charity shops so gave a friend one of them after her ex left taking their copy with him! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cope is a good writer, the The Modern Antiquarian has become a classic now I think and both have led many people to travel and at the stones.

      Delete
  6. Your "stones" posts, as I call them because that's the word I used to search for them, are going to provide many happy hours of exploring for me. Thank you! My daughter I and were in Britain together many years ago, and visited three different standing stones sites. I didn't remember that word cromlech, maybe because when planning our trip I hadn't gotten that far into the categories of megaliths. Those sites were some of our favorite destinations, especially Swinside. (I wonder if I already mentioned this here... I'm sorry if I did.)

    Just now as I was looking through my own posts about any kind of stones, I ran across this passage where I quote G.K. Chesterton on the topic of sightseeing: "In an essay he wrote in 1931 he contrasted what he called the 'age of monuments' with the 'age of museums,' and found modern sightseeing problematic in that it is 'not meant either for the wanderer to see by accident or for the pilgrim to see with awe. It is meant for the mere slave of a routine of self-education to stuff himself with every incongruous intellectual food in one indigestible meal.'"

    I think it highly unlikely -- and I hope to be proven wrong -- that I'll be able to explore any stone circles or cromlechs, etc, in the future, so I'm very glad to have your link to what looks like the perfect movie for me. Well, it might be perfect especially if I do get to see them in person, which I no doubt will be impatient to do once I watch the movie and browse Megalithic Poems. Your blog is very helpful in providing ways for me to procrastinate doing the dishes!

    Here's my post where I mention Swinside: https://gretchenjoanna.com/2009/04/03/rocks-and-stones/

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!