Saturday, July 18, 2020

Saturday 18th July



I have been quiet, the days drag on but I haven't been idle.  Got my secondhand camcorder a few days ago, and after dissing the little booklet it came with just sat down and worked it out from the 'touch' system. I expect a high rank smart phone would do exactly the same job, but I hate phones.  I tried flowers and insects, followed the hens around but my mode of operation is too fast at the moment, will keep trying.
Went through my wardrobe, decided to turn a couple of dresses into skirts, and ordered some elastic from Ebay.  It is quite extraordinary how we have settled down into ordering things from the net.  Each day I see the supermarket vans go by or a parcel delivery van slowly hawking past on the lookout for a particular house.
This means that the shops lose out in the end, it is so much easier to order stuff than take a ride out to our nearest town.  Times are definitely changing.
Perused my New Statesman yesterday, there is a 'subscriber of the week' profile at the back, and often when asked people do exactly what I do, read from the back into the front.  The back is devoted to 'The Critics' books, art, television all appear.  There is also a very good article by Anjana Ahuja - The Race for a Covid-19 vaccine..........

“When mass vaccination programmes start, they will involve a public health logistics endeavour of manufacture, distribution, vaccination and monitoring, bigger than anything humankind has ever attempted,” said Danny Altmann, who heads an immunology laboratory at Imperial College London. “Think along the lines of mobilising for a world war. I’d be gratified to see that arrive some time during 2021.”

This is where we are at, forget the Russians are coming to steal our formulas that really is utter bollocks in the real world.  To try the old campaign about 'reds under the bed' and yes the Russians are pretty wicked but we have lived with that for a long time.  Simple headlines of news is what we are dished out at the moment, though I was grateful to see Grayling booted out by proper politicians not the two upfront manipulators, yes I am talking about Cummings and Johnson.

The weather is gray and miserable, so no talking over the fence to neighbours today, could it be that the forecast for St.Swithin Day will be the 40 days of rain - joy.


4 comments:

  1. I found, like with a still camera, what you don't use is as important as what you do, which means getting to grips with video editing software. Unfortunately the "video editor" now free with Windows is a massively simplified version of what they used to provide, but it could be a start if you haven't used it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've yet to discover the means of putting my video on to the computer, so back to the booklet. Also find Facebook's editing wares does not work properly either. Patience is a virtue!

      Delete
  2. I used to be the classic bloke who started to use the item as soon as it came out of the package, but now I sit down for about 10 minutes and read every bit of the instruction manual before turning anything on. I skip through the safety advice though - I know that power tools can be dangerous. I agree with you about the news coming in easy-to-manage gobbets. There has been a lot of dumbing down going on in the last 4 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I get rather fed-up with being treated like an idiot by this government. Power tools are of course the exception to reading the safety instructions. Technical gizmos are totally different, there is so much jargon that the brain hurts in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!