Saturday, July 4, 2020

Saturday 4th July 2020

Today is the day we can get out and socially mix within a distance.  Grace restaurants, cafes and pubs.  I hope it goes well for the sake of all those businesses that have suffered under the lockdown.  I will not be taking up the offer but expect a lot of people will.
I have had my quota of people meeting this week, first with the plumber and his young female assistant on Thursday when they sorted blocked drains, though the kitchen sink still has to have strong stuff to melt down a bit more. 

Yesterday I went to our garden centre and eventually managed to keep to the rules when I went to the green grocery side. I use a lot of vegetables in my cooking and this always seems the first thing on my list, though animal food is never far away.  Lucy has decided she doesn't like dog food all that much, so crunching through carrots, broccoli and cabbage stalks keeps the hunger beast at bay, till she joins me in whatever I eat, and then, only then will she touch her own food.

The garden centre owner is a great chatterer, so with the perspex screen between us I learnt of her views on the subject.  Typically she doesn't agree with letting people wander round the country as tourists and with all those holiday cottages up for renting I expect the people in villages will have the same views, with strangers mooching around.  She is short tempered with people who will not abide by the rules, bless her and tales of walking off and refusing to help people are her ways of punishment.

Second wave? we will have to see, but everyone seems to be putting a lot of effort into protecting customers, all we need is sensible people to respond not these idiots quacking about freedom of choice to do what they want.

10 comments:

  1. More or less my view Thelma. I too am not all that bothered about going out there and meeting people. As long as I have plenty to read, a few Zooms with folk each week and a few favourite programmes (including Monty of course), a Tesco order once a fortnight and a top-up each week from our local very good Deli - I keep going quite nicely but I can see that this is not enough for some people who are desperate to get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is Pat getting people back to work, much as I dislike the present government, they are left with little choice and a country split down the middle on the best way to go.

      Delete
  2. I heard a group of drunk young men shouting in the street at 10.00 this morning. God knows what it is going to be like tonight. Opening the pubs at 6.00am on a Saturday morning was such a stupid thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The young believe they are invincible, many maybe but not all, says the voice of doom. Bath must be having a real experience with lockdown, the hospitality of it all shut down. Drunken yobs are scary are you sure the pub was open at 6.00 am and they weren't late time party revellers?

      Delete
  3. Can't say I blame the garden centre owner for losing her temper when you consider her continual, day-to-day exposure with idiots. Things are pretty much a (disastrous) free-for-all over here (US). Happy to stay home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough someone else I know, when getting on a bus in York, saw a young man unmasked and eating. She remonstrated but the bus driver said nothing, so she said she would report it to the depot. Positive action, though I think it will make little difference.

      Delete
  4. I really hope there is no second wave. I want to believe that people will be sensible but there is a voice in my head telling me that some people don't think like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are too many of us to all being sensible, but I expect the majority will do what is right.

      Delete
  5. I think a lot more will die, come the following months. But there will be no organized resistance to it until we have a strong leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there are a few conspiracy theories in that this is what he wants for re-election or not, he will somehow float through without the vote. God forbid ;)

      Delete

Love having comments!