Sunday, July 12, 2020

Sunday's rambling

This morning I picked  dark red nasturtiums and the pale pink perennial sweet pea to go into the small narrow necked copper vase.  I am trying to let my mind free roam, disappointed in the new to be archbishop of York, - Steven  Cottrell he sounded such a dull creature, quacking on about his books, and consider he is the second most important bishop in England, had very little to say on the poverty up North. He is a southerner by the way!  The figure for the Church of England assets  is 6.7 billion pounds, as the churches close it would be rather good to see those assets out in the wider world of their flock.  On another note, it seems that Jehovah Witnesses are rationalising their properties under one heading, scared of court and the sexual abuse cases coming up?

 Tuesday it will be my son's birthday, he seems settled in his world, I doubt he will ever marry but still he is content enough.  Here is a photo of him and Ephraim at the Red Lion at Avebury.  We are having lunch, it must be a summer megalithic meeting.  Free, easy days when you lunched at the nearest pub, there are many photos of family at local pubs.  Now we are constrained by rules and regulations, lines across the floor, it will change.


Red Lion Avebury

Hare and Hound Chelmer Village

Cats Pub in Woodham Walter, Essex

Now I live next door to a pub, the village hub, a place where the local farmers come to play darts and quaff beer, occasionally you will find yourself sitting next to guns, sure that it is illegal, but they have been out shooting pheasant.  Harriet has erected a large white marquee outside, and carefully marked the two metre limits as well.  I like our pub, it is informal, serves very large meals but is the general meeting place for events in the village.  In fact, as everyone kept reminding us, before this cottage was built on the small field adjacent to the pub, this is where the village barbecue was held.
The other pub which we used to visit, was The Plough at Wombleton, yes such a place exists, but the new owners rather spoiled the ambience of the place.  Pubs get bought up by newly retired people who think it will be fun, but they are incomers and have no general knowledge of the locals and of course one thing you don't find in pubs these days is the groups of males that you see in every film of 'olde England',  wives and children are part of the drink/meal package.


10 comments:

  1. Yes a mind free to wander at will Thelma - not so easy these days is it. I amstill in my dressing gown at ten this morning - I stayed in bed until nine reading 'On the Red Hill' and have just had my breakfast. It is not particularly warm here. Our pubs are open but living in a sma ll town there is not quite the same ambience. I am missing my Jam and Jerusalem but like your new header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pat I changed the header, roses are giving up for the moment and the top one is the beck at the bottom of Wheeldale, a favourite place. Pubs in towns are different though, and all of course experiencing difficulties with or without the virus.

      Delete
  2. It is quite legal to bring a covered gun into a pub, but it is polite to ask the landlord if he minds. Most London pubs would disapprove I think. I love the idea of living close to a proper village pub, but that isn't going to happen now. Avebury would be my first choice in the winter months, but I am not too keen on their pub. Too many tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know that Tom, not sure they were covered though, I am sure your pub in Walcot Street would not have many guns around. The Red Lion was the venue for our summer meetings, when our stones community came from all corners of England. Just remembered to add to your lions of Iford Manor. William Morris when he boarded at Marlborough School would go to "see the Lions' at Avebury as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in our country, they'd be called bars and very much congregating places. I had never been in a bar until my mid50s when a friend said that cannot stand. We went with him and his wife. I decided i hadn't missed much although I did get ooggled by two guys. I am sure that'd not happen today lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this country pubs seem broken down to traditional pubs, and restaurant/pub. Different from the American bar I should think. They have been with us since Roman time, it is extraordinary to think that drinking an alcoholic drink started probably in prehistory.

      Delete
  5. Speaking of roses Thelma - at the moment I only have one and as it was here when I came I have no idea what it is but it is lovely. It was covered in blooms, then we had that huge gale which almost flattened it and really made it suffer. I have cut all but one of the blooms off down to the next side shoot and given the plant a good feed - now I am hoping for a recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That gale did a lot of damage to my roses as well Pat, they flowered profusely but then the rain knocked them down and 'Jam and Jerusalem' has blackspot just to add to my grievances...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking at your new header knowing where that picture was taken but couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the valley. Thank you for reminding me it is Wheeldale, it is indeed a lovely place. I lived near Whitby for a year, I was working on an outdoor centre as an instructor, we would often bring groups to Wheeldale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I missed this comment but yes Wheeldale is a very tranquil place to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!