Friday, December 25, 2020

Christmas Day

Christmas and radio 2 jingling out.  Fondue eaten, the small saucepan perched perilously on a rather small raclette ring.  Family phoned.  All managed to make it back to Todmorden.  The two girls were already there, Tom catching the almost last train from Manchester.  Whilst Ben clutching his letter that officially let him leave London as a student on the 24th, his Covid test was also clear, managed to get to Leeds and the last train back.  Flooding made the trains late. Presents open, lovely hat and gloves from the two Londoners and chocolates and various potions to decorate the bathroom.  Usual long phone call, ending in the normal quarrel between the two girls, as who was going to clear the vomit up after the dog. But my daughter was clearly happy to have her flock around her.

Blue skies but cold, my friend came yesterday with a present, she worries about me, but as we chatted I told her I talked quite happily not only to Lucy but to Paul as well through the day. In fact in summer you will hear me talking to the bees and butterflies as well ;)  Thank god we don't have lunatic asylums to put us in! 

My son was off for a walk round Victoria Park in Bath. Moss my old dog's ashes are scattered in the park.  I remember the time Ephraim took my son one night to teach him to drive in the park and then later the doorbell rang with a policeman and the two of them standing there being told off for what I am not quite sure.  Perhaps Ephraim had not got a licence.

Christmas day has passed, and sadly if you only have a fondue for a meal, there are no turkey/stuffing leftovers for next day meals, but wine of course............ 




14 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas Thelma. I thought of you today like I said I would. I had a good day, I hope you did too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel, blogging almost becomes a lifeline. Glad you had a good day, my daughter said... Mum you know you love your peace and quiet you are unable to cope with noise and chaos.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas Thelma. At least with fondue, not very much washing up!

    We had a quietish day, but unwrapped presents via Messenger with the other two which was nearly as good as having them here with us.

    Tomorrow I will have to walk off the salt marsh lamb and the roulade (which didn't get eaten today, so I shall have a piece for breakfast, which is a family tradition).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Jennie. True there is hardly any washing up, but a fondue saucepan is a beast to clean. Must admit the older you get the less you eat. And the Xmas pud I bought might well spend several years in the cupboard, though I have been watching Nigel Slater do things with a pudding!.

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas, Thelma. I made a lovely pot of soup yesterday. And today and tomorrow, and then it will be gone. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Joanne. I love soup and normally have a pan around, glad you enjoyed yours.

      Delete
  4. Never really tried fondues. Had a pretty traditional Christmas dinner here.

    My mother reminded me of the story the other day of how when I was little, fancying a change, she'd cooked Boeuf Stroganoff for Christmas dinner. For some reason my dad popped round to our neighbours' who, as it happened, were having a traditional dinner. He looked at what they were having and famously said "and all we're having is bloody Boeuf Stroganoff". Obviously, he got grassed on for saying it! It was one of those little incidents the enters family myth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a beef type fondue, Swiss butchers can cut the meat very finely and you dunk it in a broth then eat with lots of side dishes. We had tried several different game birds at Xmas, but the good old chicken is still the best.
    'Bloody beef Stroganoff' We say things just to keep the people happy, and then of course it goes down in family history to be repeated ad nauseum...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad for you that your Xmas day was fine.I haven’t had fondue for years but really fancy it now.We are now in Tier 4 lockdown and understand some areas are going into Tier5.What next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, fondue are probably only for high days and finding the cheese is something else. Lidl will probably do Gruyere and Emmenthal at this time of year, but a decent Gruyere is a difficult find, though I notice Waitrose also advertises fondues.
    So, what is Tier 5 for goodness sake, can't leave the house, must starve? At some stage we will right ourselves from this wretched virus but until then hopefully a better New Year for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your Christmas had the right amount of every good thing and not too much of anything. happy Boxing Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Debby, at least it was quiet;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the little mousie - brought a smile to this day which is very hard for those under flood water. Here's to a better 2021

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you liked it. They creep through my F/B news. Flooding is always worrying especially in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!