Thursday, December 31, 2020

Thursday 31st December

 Tackling another year. Or not - as Murr says here.  For we can start anywhere really on tackling life anew, it is just needing the courage to do so.  Making plans that never come to fruition is what we are good at and then the promised land never quite looks as we had imagined it.  We should live in the moment taking pleasure when that shaft of joy strikes the soul.  Count them during the day, for me early evening yesterday.  The full moon spied through the black branches of a tree.  I know exactly where to find it and it gives me reassurance.  Looking down on a small scatter of wet leaves in the garden and then seeing the sycamore seeds shooting up, and the chuckle that is always inside me, grinning at the thought of a 100 years hence and should these tiny seedlings make it to maturity, that there would be a fully fledged  wood growing through this carpet of pebbles and what would have happened to the cottage I wonder?

We are blown by the winds of misfortune, or fortune don't forget, optimism is not a bad feeling to carry round.  We are in the midst of this latest drama, but it will pass and then something else will come along to fill the space left empty.  

Nature is a wonderful companion in all this, one might call her contrary in her whims.  We can beat ourselves for the fact that humankind created the latest tragedy but at least we take notice of our foolishness and try to make amends.  It is whether the forces of good overcome the bad, and whether there is really a paradise to reach?

Lucy is sleeping soundly, I think she is fading away gently, wobbly on her feet, determined to refuse any proper dog food, the latest craze for her is porridge, and then there is of course pancakes which she always loved.

So to a Different New Year and may we all find the things we seek in the months to come.  Peace and contentment to you all. xxx

And a poem echoing down through time, because where would we be without words!


"Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light:
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.
Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.
Ring out the grief that saps the mind,
For those that here we see no more;
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind.
Ring out a slowly dying cause,
And ancient forms of party strife;
Ring in the nobler modes of life,
With sweeter manners, purer laws.
Ring out the want, the care, the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes,
But ring the fuller minstrel in.
Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite;
Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.

Ring out old shapes of foul disease;
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace."
―Alfred, Lord Tennyson

10 comments:

  1. He can be quite radical, Tennyson, in a cautious sort of a way.

    "Pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will" (Antonio Gramsci). It's a thought that often crosses my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things that made me smile this Christmas was my 39 year old son, telling me that he was reading poetry online. He mentioned Keats, Tennyson and Wordsworth. All of whom I read when young and have dismissed as old fashioned.
    Optimism is a very good tool for fighting with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah - my son LOATHED Keats when he had to study him at school! Doubt he'll change on that score. Poetry is a balm in these stressful times though and strange how what we dismissed as old fashioned in our youth, suddenly becomes a comfort . . . Must keep The Nation's Favourite Poems out till last to be packed . . .

    Nature is still my balm too - being outside and walking through beautiful scenery lifts my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Eve of St.Agnes' did it for me, it went on and on and on! I like Brian Bilston on F/B for the light and funny at the moment. Hopefully you will have time to read books whilst moving! You have always had lovely places to walk in Wales, so too many new walks in the New Year and a better time.

      Delete
  4. Well we are promised better times by Easter with this extra vaccine - at least today is a glorious day with such strong sunshine. We must take every shred of pleasure wherever it arrives. I can see you are giving Lucy just what she needs - enjoy your last days with her - she has given you great comfort hasn't she.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you are right about Lucy Pat but she has also given a lot of hassle, so when she eventually goes there will be another hole in my life but still she could go on for months. The sun has been beautiful today but very cold, just received my two knitting books and a card from America, Xmas lingering into New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poem definitely made me think of the end of 2020 in the USA!
    It was your words that really touched me, tho, Thelma. "For we can start anywhere really on tackling life anew" made me stop and think! And I like the idea of celebrating joy when it finds us. I try to do my gratitude list every night when I go to bed but sometimes fall asleep before I finish! How lucky I am to always find something to be grateful for!
    Happy New Year, Thelma, and thank you for your inspiring words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the truth of it of course, there are plenty of things to be grateful for, and I love the idea of falling asleep before you get to the end of the list Ellen.

      Delete
  7. Tennyson's words--170 years after he wrote them--how fitting they are today.

    And as you say--wishing peace and contentment to all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Mary, I think history teaches that we always live through fraught times.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!