Saturday, December 12, 2020

trivia

 Tears streaming from my eyes, yes onions doing their worst.  Red cabbage, do you call it a casserole I wonder?  Chopping the dark red bullet like cabbage, Lucy crunching on her share.  Then onions, and then the apples from Christine's garden, they go into that sweet/sour combination of sugar/salt/vinegar and stew gently in the oven till they produce what I always feel is the real christmassy taste at this time of the year.


I have been preparing a lot of the food I eat, soups, there is leek/potato soup on the hob at the moment.  Bread baking tomorrow, teabread and cheese biscuits yesterday.  Cooking calms the mind.

Growing salads on the sill.  I have always grown mung beans for a topping in sandwiches, a packet goes on for ages, but sent off for a box of seeds to sow with accompanying soil.  Have tried the sunflower seeds  and there is Alfalfa on the windowsill, remember the days of growing cress on the sill?


Nigella is cooking colcannon on tv at the moment, a good accompaniment to red cabbage casserole but what of the last third on the plate I wonder.

Clearing out photos in my folders, a sleepy one of Lucy and the little cat ever hungry at the door....  We are progressing, she allows me a quick stroke but at the moment is sitting in the rain by her friends, the bantams.






16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes she enjoys the sun, not much of it around at the moment though, constant rain Sue.

      Delete
  2. She is afraid of the dog perhaps? Lovely and I should do some cooking. I avoid it because my husband will everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think that is one of the problems Tabor, though Lucy ignores her.

      Delete
  3. Sounds lovely. When I was very small my favourite lunch was a tomato chopped up with salt, pepper, vinegar and sugar on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad the tears were caused by onions. Your feast sounds so good.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think it is the colour of the dish as well Carla, red is such a Christmassy colour. Sadly you can't dye wool with it though.

      Delete
  5. Years ago a friend often brought the apple/cabbage casserole to church dinners--I haven't encountered it since. I've won over many cats with food offerings--some stayed around and became socialized, others went their solitary way. Most of our cats have arrived as needy creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dish only appears in winter here when the red cabbage appears. He is such a sweet little cat, when he isn't prodding me, and fairly timid around other cats. Actually I fear for his future as he bonds with the bantams.

      Delete
  6. I dislike cooking, but I like eating. Colcannon, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very Irish I believe Joanne, a good recipe at Xmas when there is an abundance of sprouts and potatoes.

      Delete
  7. Oh, that last picture of your dog savoring the sun! A reminder for us all, isn't it? We are surrounded by simple pleasures, and we need to be reminded to enjoy them by your beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She adores a sunny patch, and her face just reflects happiness Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitty reminds me - we used to have a horse who hung out with our chickens for company. In a misty drizzle, he'd be standing there by his flock despite having a perfectly good shelter to stand under. In the sun, he'd go over and nap by the chickens. Chickens seem to be good for cross-species togetherness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I reckon because chickens talk in a friendly manner. Surprising a horse found their company good as well.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!