Friday, December 18, 2020

Friday 18th December




Today is Paul's birthday.  I am not being sad only remembering our time together and giving thanks for meeting such a marvellous man.  So I shall pull together a few of my blogs as to his life.

He started life  in the town, or at least in a village near Swindon, and he went on to Swindon art college. But then his life took an unusual twist and he departed in 1966 to Japan, a journey of adventure, so many people were going elsewhere in the world to find spiritual content in that decade.  He first became a monk under the guidance of Ruth Fuller  but this life was soon given up and he studied at the Kyoto School of Art.  For the next three years he worked there till he decided to go into conservation and eventually worked for a Japanese conservator Naoyuki Usami whose studio work for the Kyoto National Museum.  A ten year apprenticeship.  I have told the story of the making of Aged Paste here,  simply put it took 10 years to make, stirred once each year and then covered once more with water, at the end you became a conservator!  Though I have never said that once looking into the pot he had a vision!

When Paul and I met he was retiring from  his work,  though still kept up an interest.  On coming back to Britain with his family, he  worked for the British Museum, having set up the Japanese studio for scrolls there and then 10 years later he became independent.  Here he is working on a scroll at the studio in Chelmsford.

Today as I sit in the cottage I am surrounded by many Japanese things, bookshelves of  art from all periods of Japan, it is a virtual temple to the country.  We never got to go together to visit, though he always promised in November for a visit but he was always worried by my fear of too many people around me, I tend to go to pieces.

So to a very happy and perfect period of my life, I will toast to him at some stage today a glass of sherry. 


Things that are lost, I can only think that these dyes and minerals must be stacked high in the garage on the rafters. 

14 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading about Paul's life Thelma. What an unusual life it was. Here's to Paul today, and you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A touching portrait. I sometimes look around me and think that were my partner to predecease me, I would be left surrounded by the garden she's created. It quite a big garden and she's shaped it over the years into something quite unique.

    My father was a prisoner of the Japanese in WWII. He worked on the Burma railway. I quite often, these days, find myself teaching Japanese young people. It feels so right that this should be the case - the world moves on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardens remind us of people of course. Paul took on the bed down the side of the house. Here you will find bamboo and statues. The art of Japanese gardens are of course moss, stone and rock all very symbolic. And of course the raking of the pebbles, a very meditative process.

      Delete
  3. I will join you in that sherry Thelma - any happy perfect partnership deserves a toast - I was lucky enough to have two - I miss them both but my life is full of happy memories. Enjoy your day of quiet contemplation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather sweet Pat, not sure if you would like it. But I can't open a bottle of wine for myself. Yes it is so true a perfect happy partnership deserves recognition, though I was slightly hesitant this morning about blogging about it.

      Delete
  4. It must be very special paste to take ten years to make. A once-a-year special-day mixture of the physical and spiritual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceremony is part of the Japanese culture, it is totally different to our more relaxed attitude to life. His two sons have just messaged that we should all light a candle at midday.

      Delete
  5. Being a paper conservator sounds terrifying to me, but I suppose you get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a whole range of jobs involved, silks often were priced at maybe a £1000 a metre, the cut had to be sure!

      Delete
  6. What a careful, detailed job he did! Such work needs a steady hand and long years of training and practice I would think. Very interesting life! Thanks for sharing his story, Thelma. Best wishes for a good day of happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took its toll though Ellen on his knees, tatami is not the most comfortable material to kneel on, and then his eyes at one stage. Thank you for your wishes.

      Delete
  7. I can't imagine a better person for that sort of job Thelma. He came across as so calm and unflappable and dedicated. I am not surprise he was a monk once.

    Glad you raised a sherry in his memory. Many wines now have screw tops (if that helps your cause!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well as to wine, white has been brought for a Xmas fondue, but I prefer to drink red Jennie. I remember that visit to you, sitting in the kitchen Paul and Keith talking about the Beat generation, and as always with you cakes on the table. X

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!