Tuesday, December 15, 2020

How things work

Edward William Cooke (British painter) 1811 - 1880
The Upper Floor of Rembrandt's Father's Mill, Koukerk, 1838
oil on canvas


 Rather ramshackle isn't it? But glowing with life and a feeling that it will all collapse soon.  The view out of the window is the only bit that colours and tells us the sun is shining outside.  Collecting paintings is one of the things you can do on the internet without having to buy them and hang on the wall.  It caught my eye and my heart on Facebook, where Christa Zaat catalogues paintings.
Here is another painting, on wood this time. Cooke was a maritime artist as well and a gardener. 

Wier's Paper Mill near Oxford

I am fascinated by working mills, though the above must have tumbled into the waters along time ago.  If I chose again what to do with my life, I think I would have been an engineer like my grandfather.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely paintings both but especially Rembrandt's father's mill which ha such atmosphere. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE the painting of Rembrandt's father's mill. So atmospheric. I love mills full stop - my favourite is Sturminster Mill in Dorset, well known to Hardy, and where I used to go every auction day in Stur to get my bread flour for the week.

    In the painting, I just adore the wear in the step - hundreds of years of climbing up and down by millers and am fascinated by the stained glass window and the shine of use on the cast iron weights beneath it.

    For the most amazing selection, go to Stephen Pentz's beautiful poetry blog First Known When Lost http://firstknownwhenlost.blogspot.com/ for beautiful poetry and the sort of paintings I would surround myself if I had enough money and walls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have thought moving would cure you of collecting things Jennie ;). The stained glass window either refers to the name Koukerk or to an estate maybe.
    My favourite mills were in Essex, Coggeshall and the one outside Chelmsford. Put their photos up soon if I can find them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, so much detail - the more you look the more you notice. Interesting! The days before cellphone cameras!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the phone/camera catches everything now of course but an artist's eye saw deeper.

      Delete
  5. I too loved the detail. Such a humble place...with a stained glass window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was falling apart Debby, the stained glass window spoke of ownership to a wealthy person though.

      Delete

Love having comments!