Tuesday, December 29, 2020

We have a deal! Recording a day


Removal of the Union Jack taken down at Brussels yesterday

As a Remainer I have held my peace over the last year, understanding of course that once set on the course of Brexit there was not much choice.  Well a deal has been brokered, and the only thing I can say is life is forward moving not backward looking and I have no other option but be a part of it. This article covers the sense of anger that myself and many people feel when we were waltzed into the backwaters of isolation and leave the larger shores of Europe for some sort of nationalistic hoo-ha.  Just ask yourself did anyone lose their sense of being British, French, German or Spanish?  I blame it on immigrants, of course I don't but that was part of the story told, yet now we are yelling out for all those good 'foreign' people to run our hospitals, pick our fruit and vegetables and maybe, just maybe work out vaccines for us.  

The human race is a family, consisting of many colours, languages and beliefs.  And I would rather listen to a woman with the standing of Ursula Von der Leyen then the likes of Johnson and Gove.  Politics aside, rant over ;)

“This whole debate has always been about sovereignty,” The European Commission president noted. “But we should cut through the soundbites and ask ourselves what sovereignty actually means in the 21st century. For me, it’s about being able seamlessly to work, travel, study and do business in 27 countries. It’s about pooling our strength and speaking together in a world full of great powers. And in a time of crisis it’s about pulling each other up instead of trying to get back to your feet alone. The EU shows how this works in practice, and no deal in the world can change reality or gravity. "....


Tweet of the day; The Great Northern Diver by Jane Smith.  Margaret Atwood as guest editor today. Where would we be without the  BBC?  Well less political news for a start!





11 comments:

  1. My feelings exactly. Well ranted. I would also prefer to listen to Ursula Von der Leyen than our buffoon. Thanks for your blog. Happy New Year Janx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. It was a very poor move on people in this country voting MEPs who only wanted us out. Would we vote for candidates to send to parliament only intent on its destruction. I think not. We only have 22 miles between us and Europe. Whether we believe it or not our genes are European. A very sad day 1January 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts exactly Thelma - but we are stuck with it whether we like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a depressing read that article is...truth is often depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree more, a sad day indeed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I voted remain, too. There may be all sorts of problems with this deal but at least it's not the worst-case scenario.

    I think we'll might well end up rejoining some time in the next few years. If we went forward in a time-machine we might even find we're using the Euro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I see we all agree that Brexit was a difficult decision, and it would have been easier to stay in. As Carruthers says, think there will probably be a seep back towards Europe in a few years but for the moment we will have to take the turbulence that is swirling around until things eventually settle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure I do not fully comprehend this situation. But I also feel many in your country are in the same spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the Report covers 1200 pages, not sure our politicians have read it either!

      Delete
  9. I am sorry. I see it as a step back from "internationalism" for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I suppose you could see it as belonging to a 'bloc' of likeminded people. The freedom of movement was a classic part of it.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!