Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Glad Tidings ?

 


Leo's Xmas tree

It's nearly here, what is your favourite carol?  All those years of listening to carol singing, I bring my choice, just for the exhilarating thump of the rhythm and the travelling back to medieval times and feasting- The Boar's Head Carol sung by Steely Span.  How many of us will be listening to the 3.0.clock carols from King's College this holiday?  My other choices are 'Silent Night' and 'The Holly and Ivy', simple and childish.  Both bring to me the natural world, the silence at night as we look up at the stars and moon and then the dark green of winter, splashed with the red of the berries and robin redbreast.  Caught in every Christmas in the cards we send each other.

The Artist hanging his work with uncle who is also an artist.


This from my family.  To all the cats I have tried to neuter in the last three weeks, two to be precise, and for the one that got away - I'll get you next time!



10 comments:

  1. I have a few - In the Bleak Midwinter, the Gustav Holst version. Then there's a group - the tunes In Dulci Jubilo, Good King Wencelaslas (but not the words) and Personent Hodie. I like them partly because of their intriguing ancient origin (Piae Cantiones, Finland, 1582).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A more refined choice than mine. I remember whilst at convent school, having to rehearse 'O Emmanuel' in a freezing cold church. Every time I hear it now brings back the memory;)

      Delete
    2. I went to a Cathedral School, although I wasn't a chorister. I remember the choir had all sorts of silly words they sang to carols - it helped get them through freezing cold rehearsals, I guess. Most highly favoured lady, Gloria! became Most highly flavoured lady, Strawberry! Etc.

      Delete
  2. I guess my favorite song is "Oh Holy Night" as my Dad used to sing it every Christmas while my sister accompanied him on the piano. Then my sister and I played other Christmas songs as duets on the piano while the family sang along. I was always nervous to play. But it is a loving memory now that my parents are gone.
    Merry Christmas, Thelma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely memory Ellen which strikes at the heart of the family at Xmas. Merry Christmas to you as well.

      Delete
  3. It is not Christmas to me until I have watched Carols from Kings. Happy Christmas Thelma - we will both celebrate it alone in our own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Happy Christmas Pat, we both of course have happy memories as well to dwell on X

      Delete
  4. Leo and Uncle Artist is the nicest picture I've seen this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it grabs the heart, for these little ones are the inheritors of our world.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Joanne. It is a great picture.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!