Monday, December 7, 2020

Monday and old blogs.

I am listening to a CD of Kate Rusby, there is a rather quiet song below.  Her Yorkshire accent is captured in all her songs.  But it reminds me of my youngest grandchild, Lillie and her accent.  As a small girl she would, along with Matilda scold me for my Southern accent.  I just loved the way they spoke, the letter b, are we going on the bus granny? Would have me giggling.  I could never get my tongue round Bothams (bakers) and Boyes (you can buy anything at Boyes!) traditional Yorkshire shops.
But what did I do yesterday.  Well Tasker set me off on a task, the very first blog.  Well that has a tale for I deleted my blogs before 2006, for a personal reason and then of course regretted it so I took up writing again immediately. So the first blog recalls this, but how to find those older blogs.  Luckily there is a gadget to display them at the side of the blog.  So I spent an hour reading the 'waffle' I wrote, the books I read.  Richard Jeffries and his lyrical writing,  Jacquetta Hawkes, a woman archaeologist in the early days .  Phenomenology, my trying to get round the significance of Silbury Hill and its relationship  to the landscape.  I never got there but enjoyed the ride!
Outside a fog obscures the land, and I have to go out for stamps and vegetables later on, perhaps it will clear.  Last night as I closed the coop in the dark, something white moved in the little doorway, it was the cat, her friendship with my bantams is beginning to be worrying.  I enjoy going out in the dark, but the house has lights on all four sides, and one of those powerful trip lights over the garage, so I have to wait for darkness to descend and this light go off before I can contemplate the darkness of trees and sky.

An indulgence of grandchildren ;) allowed at Christmas








 Falling - Kate Rush

13 comments:

  1. I never realised we had funny 'b's. 'U's and 'o's, yes, and no one not from Hull can say 'ull properly, and my wife had to get used to saying "bath" and not "baaarth" working in the community in Bradford, and I used to argue with m-i-l about whether it was "rasp-berries" and "goooose-berries" rather than "raarzbriz" and "guzbriz", but funny 'b's? Well, it's not true that Yorkshire people are not generous. We are very generous with our 'b's. We give everyone free-bees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the short 'bath' rather than the long baaarth of course. Though originally from the Midlands I had elocution lessons as a child, something I should be grateful for considering the Black Country accent.(don't be offended anyone!) But I note the long ooooo in gooseberries and the use of the long 'o' and 'u' which is probably the first thing that struck me as my grandchildren succumbed to the Northern tongue ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrong way round, the long Bath rather than the short.

      Delete
  3. I am intrigued, wondering now what the funny 'b' sounds like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Tasker caught it, it was the 'o' and 'u' the hitting of a lower key and the word drawn out. Going to wish I had never mentioned it ;)

      Delete
  4. Silbury Hill is amazing. I remember being blown away by it when walking the Ridgeway in my youth.

    Saw a really good documentary on YouTube the other day about the standing Stones of Britain and Ireland.

    https://youtu.be/Iq4xM8TLWc0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the first time you encounter it, it stops you in your tracks. There were two other mounds in the area, one has disappeared, the other in the Marlborough public school. I have the DVD of Standing with Stones, Soskin and Bott are still deep into megaliths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just can't beat grandchildred! I love them all t o bits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful grandchildren. I have six, but barely see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all growing fast, Matilda will be 19 this week, that is why I needed a stamp yesterday!

      Delete
  8. My husband, a Yorkshire man, worked with an upper crust type. He disliked my husband's (quite mild) Yorkshire accent. He called him into office and asked him " So tell me do you take a bath or a baarth?
    R replied " Neither, Hugh, we keep coal in it" . Hugh never commented again on his accent.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!