Sunday, December 20, 2020

Sunday 20th December.

 It is Sunday, still dark, the little cat sits on the steps outside, never coming in but needing our companionship. Yesterday was slightly fraught but good things happening as well.  A batch of Xmas cards, one from my daughter with a grumpy cat face, my duties as to catching and neutering cats round here I have given up.

There was another funny little card with a Xmas tree from Paul's sons, the card featured a very modernistic Xmas tree, on turning it over it was a card printed by a London nursery school of Leo's painting, Paul's grandson.  So a third boy in the family given an Anglo/Saxon name - Leofric / dear, beloved.

Also a parcel arrived, well several.  But the first had several wrapped parcels from the family.  The other two large ones, the delivery driver left before I could send them back,  I am not sure if they are not part of the scam of last week but I refuse to worry.

I have been using my new tablet early morning when it is too cold to get out of bed.  I travel to far away places such as the Shetland isles also the Faroe Islands and watch the seas crash against the steep cliffs.  These islands lashed by all weathers, are exceptional, they are the 'new in' place to go to.  But I expect their pull will be short-lived for many.  If you read Adam Nicholson's book of 'Sea Room'.  The one house on these Shiant Isles, has a plague of rats which run over your face at night.  Though I am not saying all the other inhabited islands have such problems, but when the sea gets rough then supplies are unable to get in.  I notice the 'incomers' build houses with windows for the views, and on the Orkney Isles, the great liners full of tourists pull in dwarfing the tiny harbour and they look ridiculous. 

I must admit this one looks like an enormous rabbit hutch, how do they stay upright on an angry sea I wonder.




11 comments:

  1. Yes I agree - enoormous rabbit hutch indeed Thelma. When one sees a photograph of a cruise ship in Venice it towers over all the beautiful buildings. Did you see the film on The Faroes and the Whales? Not easy viewing but certainly food for thought. Still on iplayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child Pat I read some terrible stories of whaling and will never go there now, so I haven't seen the programme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they finally stop those things from entering Venice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how much water they display when in Venice, they look totally ridiculous.

      Delete
  4. I hate those ships. I am sorry if that offends those that "sail" on them. They are floating cities and invade quiet places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes that is so true Tabor, they are floating cities, here today and gone tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I thought of Venice too when I saw that photo. I would not like to travel with so many people. I imagine it to be so crowded wherever you go - aboard ship or when docking at attractions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Venice has of course felt the worst, but the infrastructure needed to tackle a thousand passengers as they come off these boats and then tour the islands is also destructive.

      Delete
  7. Cruises--something to spend money and and someone to take it. Such a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but now our world is having to count the cost, especially us humans!

      Delete
  8. Would not recommend taking a cruise in these times.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!