Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Parcels

Well this will be about parcels.  When I went out yesterday and queued for stamps outside the post office (I am so stupid not to have got stamps earlier).  A parcel carrier had supposedly called and gone off and not delivering the parcel, DPD apparently.  I could collect in London - O joy, but paid a couple of pounds for redelivery.  What is it??? could be my growing sprouting seeds box.
Afternoon, a thump on the front door and the postman had managed to put through a large cardboard Amazon envelope.  As I peered down into its depth, there skulking in the corner was one of those unidentifiable computer wotsits, they don't even have proper names nowadays.
Strange, suspicious maybe, but a couple of hours later my son phoned.  Mum you will be getting a couple of parcels over the next few days, a tablet and a monitor.  Bless him.  Xmas present.
We had been talking about audio books something he listens to instead of television, and I said I would not mind doing that.  I can pick up books through his account, though will probably start my own account, that is once I have mastered my new toy.....
Yesterday I watched the three episodes about Harold Shipman, the serial killer and drug taker of pethidine.  He, through his respected career as a doctor had managed to kill near on 250 people without anyone confronting him through the 30 years he had been practising.  The programme was interesting because it questioned the assumption that the death of old people was something that had been accepted by society.  Old people were a drag on society.  Big thoughts there.  And before that troll moves in saying that we would all be better dead - sod off, I own the delete button....
Shipman was thoroughly pleasant to his patients, at the time he was restrained by the police many people came forward to support him, but slowly the evidence revealed itself, the fact that many died after he had visited them, and the truth began to strike home.  He worked in the small town of Hyde near Manchester, but, and that is why I watched the programme, he had  also worked at Todmorden, where I shall be living sometime in the future.  
What came out of the report to me was that all this form filling that doctors and hospitals have to do are of little relevance until someone checks their facts and finds the linking threads.  In this case a doctor went through his time with excess inexplicable deaths and no one bothered to pick this up.

So to some childish cartoons, that sparked a smile when I saw them......








 

2 comments:

  1. I think records can become so copious that it's hard for anyone to make head or tail of them. And people just don't have the time. There is so much to do in the health service and so few people to do it that I guess not a lot of time is spent reviewing the past. Perhaps I'm wrong and they do. There certainly should be time for such things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I suppose so, but it does seem strange that he managed to get away with it over such a long time. When they interviewed him for two days he did not say a word but turned his chair to the wall.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!